Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Art of Doing Nothing for a Weekend

I can't believe I'm doing this, but towards the end of the week I had to make the decision to not travel this weekend as today is France's version of Labor Day. That means that everything runs about as much as on Sunday so the country is on semi-shutdown for two days in a row.

At least I'm getting used to it.

It is four weeks until finals and five weeks until I go to England. I'm about halfway through my reading list now, having made myself just sit down and finish Wuthering Heights already.

This weekend is not to be completely wasted though. I've got a writing assignment for my general language class to do, Dracula to start, and my family finally requested White Chili for Sunday lunch. White chili sounds great I have to say for this weekend. Another good reason to not be traveling somewhere right now besides the lack of working things is the rainy forecast. All the wonderful, warm weather from this past week is gone unfortunately.

I'd say that is enough to keep me busy.

For the blog, I'm in the middle of coming up with two other lists. One concerns itself with my favorite "cheap" eats in Angers and the other is about what I will miss here. One of my Canadian classmates is right along with me and we spent all of dinner before Mardi Cafe talking about things we will be sorry to leave behind here. It is great that I've loved this place enough to have a list about it! It will also be something of an extension of an earlier post about 10 things in France I wish existed in the U.S.

2 comments:

  1. I think you deserve a break after several weeks of busy non-stop traveling. Enjoy the opportunity to stay put, cook and complete some homework. One thing that is no different than a typical University semester is that you are looking forward to concluding your studies and having exams behind you. We're thinking of you and know the coming month will be a busy one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz,
    Again I have missed a couple entries and am glad to catch up with your blog. I had always heard (from whom???) that sports logo shirts were very popular in other countries. Now I wonder what countries those are:) Personally I have loved comic book characters too... even Mickey Mouse. Your photos make things come alive and your schedule reminds me of your mother, as I might have mentioned earlier. Let's go here! And there and there and there! But the only time I have ever regretted her schedule is when I managed to talk her out of it once. Never again. It is funny to see her telling you to take a break:) But of course you have no real choice so it makes sense. I can see that I need to follow your travels on a map, which I have not done. But right now I am wondering how you will ever adjust to plain old school again after a year of this! Certainly, Liz, you are getting as much out of your year as any person ever has. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete

Angers, France

Angers, France

About Me

My photo
For this moment in time, I'll just share a quote from Nelson Mandela. I think it sums up what I'm experiencing right now. "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart."